There are so many tasty ways to enjoy carrots. These are some benefits of eating carrots.
1. Rich source of dietary carotenoids: Carotenoids play an important role in eyesight and also helps with maintaining a well-functioning immune system, are important for our skin and healthy ageing, and support our mucosal membranes in important areas like the respiratory system.
2. May support cholesterol balance and heart health: They are a source of fiber as well as vitamin C, which helps with protecting your heart.
3. May help with weight loss goals: Low in calories and a good source of fiber, research suggests that including them in your diet helps increase fullness and a sense of satiation.
4. May reduce the risk of cancer: Protective plant compounds mean carrots have been associated with reduced cancer risk, although evidence to support this is inconclusive.
5. May support gut health: The fiber from carrots is a good source of fuel for the beneficial bacteria that reside in your gut. Many of these gut bacteria produce short chain fatty acids which have benefits not only for the gut but for your general health.
Nutritional benefits of carrots
An 80g serving of raw carrots provides:
- 0.4g protein
- 0.3g fat
- 6.2g carbohydrates
- 3.1g fibre
- 142mg potassium
- 2mg vitamin C